Resources For Academic Leaves of Absence
Academic-year appointees (9/12) are expected to be present on campus from the beginning of the Fall Semester (Quarter) through the end of the Spring Semester (Quarter). Any appointee returning after the beginning of the Fall Semester (Quarter) or leaving before the end of the Spring Semester (Quarter) should apply for a leave of absence. (APM 700) (pdf)
In order to fulfill their obligations to the University, the APM states “faculty members must maintain a significant presence on campus, meet classes, keep office hours, hold examinations as scheduled, be accessible to students and staff, be available to interact with University colleagues, and share service responsibilities throughout every quarter or semester of active service” (APM 025-8(a)) (pdf), General Principles, Obligations to the University).
Academic appointees absent without an approved leave are at considerable risk of non-coverage should an injury occur. Prior approval for leaves of absence is important to remain compliant with Federal and State laws.
Academic employees wishing to be absent from the campus for more than seven calendar days must file a Leave of Absence form (UPAY 573-4) (pdf) with the Department Chair or equivalent to be approved BEFORE the start of the leave.
For those who accrue vacation, vacation is not reported on a leave form unless it is taken in conjunction with another leave which results in a total absence from the campus of more than seven calendar days. (In this case, the days to be reported as vacation should be listed in the remarks section of the leave form.)
For questions or more information, please contact the Academic Personnel staff in your Dean's office or send an email to the Academic Personnel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE|
Taking a leave to attend professional meetings or for University business (link)
- APM 700, Benefits and Privileges (link)
- UCR’s Academic Leave Guidelines (link)
- UCR Work Life Balance Initiative and Procedures (pdf)
- For leaves requested by faculty who are members of Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), refer to the plan for leave information: https://somacademicaffairs.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm2346/files/2019-04/ucr_hscp_implementing_procedures_2015.pdf
- For leaves requested by represented academic appointees, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for leave information: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/index.html.
- To see which academic employees accrue vacation and/or sick leave, refer to the Leave Accrual Chart (pdf).
- For a list of academic personnel leaves and Academic Personnel Manual (APM) policy references, refer to the Leave Policy Table (pdf).
- For UC Family Friendly Policies, click here (link).
- For Leave of Absence Checklists and Forms, click here (link)
- For UCR’s Catastrophic Leave Sharing Program Guidelines, click here (link).
- Vice Provost for Academic Personnel Memo on Academic Leaves of Absence (November 13, 2017) (pdf)
- UCOP EVP and Provost Michael Brown - Temporary Exception to APM-710 Sick Leave and Paid Medical Leave for COVID-19 (This temporary exception to policy is effective immediately through December 31, 2020, applies only to those appointees covered under APM 710.) (link)