Faculty Obligations - Conflict of Commitment and Outside Professional Activities

The UC Regents’ Standing Order 103.1(b) states that faculty members shall not allow outside employment to interfere with primary University duties. University policy applicable to Academic Senate members is found in APM-025 (general campus faculty) and APM-671 (Health Science Compensation Plan Faculty). Each policy includes specific time limits for certain types of outside professional activities.

Whether professional or non-professional, compensated or uncompensated, an outside activity that interferes with successful performance of a faculty member’s University obligations represents a conflict of commitment.

To comply with APM policy, UCR faculty must:

  1. Obtain Prior Approval for Category I activities by
    • Completing an APM-025 Prior Approval Request form OR an APM-671 Prior Approval Request form and
    • Submitting the form for approval following the campus routing instructions.
  2. Submit an Annual Report each fiscal year for Category I and/or Category II activities using UC OATS.

IMPORTANT: The Conflict of Commitment Online System was replaced by UC Outside Activity Tracking System (UC OATS). Please see important dates below.

May 31, 2020 – last day to use Conflict of Commitment System. For activities and reporting for the period July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 use the Conflict of Commitment Online System.

May 4, 2020 – OATS live date. For activities and reporting for the period starting July 1, 2019 use OATS.

As of July 1, 2020, the Conflict of Commitment System (link) is no longer available for reporting.  Access is limited to viewing historical reports (read-only).

For questions or more information, please send an email to