Academic Leaves

What To Do If You Are a Taking a Leave to Care for A Family Member Who Has A Serious Health Condition:
  • Find Out About The Leave Provisions That Apply To You

    Family Medical Leave (FML) (APM 715)
    In accordance with applicable State and Federal law, family and medical leave provides eligible employees with entitlements to leave for up to a total of 12 workweeks during a calendar year, continuance of health plan coverage as if on pay status, and reinstatement rights. Eligible academic appointees are entitled to take unpaid leave or to substitute accrued vacation or accrued sick leave (as set forth in APM - 715-20) for the following reasons:

    1. the appointee’s own serious health condition;
    2. to care for the appointee’s child, parent, spouse, or domestic partner (same-sex or opposite-sex) with a serious health condition and if the leave qualifies under the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), such leave may also be taken to care for a grandparent, grandchild or sibling;
    3. to care for the appointee’s newborn child or a child newly placed with the appointee for adoption or foster care.

    An academic appointee is entitled to up to 12 workweeks of family and medical leave during a calendar year, provided that:

    1. the appointee has at least 12 cumulative months of University service (all prior University service, including service with UC-managed Department of Energy Laboratories, shall be used to calculate the 12-month service requirement); and
    2. the appointee has worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately preceding the commencement date of the leave.

    Certification from the health care provider is required and must be provided by the employee within fifteen (15) business days when leave is requested for the appointee’s own serious health condition or to care for the serious health condition of the appointee’s child, parent, spouse, or domestic partner.

    Accrued sick leave may be substituted, at the appointee’s option, for unpaid family and medical leave granted for the appointee’s serious health condition or to care for the appointee’s child, parent, spouse, or domestic partner with a serious health condition. Accrued vacation leave may be substituted, at the appointee’s option, for unpaid family and medical leave granted for any covered reason.

    For academic appointees who do not accrue sick leave, Chancellors (or designee) may approve leave with pay for up to 12 workweeks.

    Family and medical leaves run concurrently with other approved leaves taken for a purpose which meets the criteria for a family and medical leave-qualifying event.

    For compliance with Federal and State laws, any absence that could be related to a serious health condition by an employee or eligible family member must be filed and designated.  It is the responsibility of the department (or other specified unit) to (1) designate leave, unpaid or paid, as qualifying for family and medical leave if the leave meets the requirements set forth in APM 715-14 and (2) maintain all completed FML paperwork on file within the department.  See FML campus procedures.

    For faculty who are members of Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), refer to Section VII of the HSCP:

    For leaves requested by represented academic appointees, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)  for leave information:

  • Complete The Appropriate Leave Forms

    Your department head can help you fill out appropriate forms.

  • Request Approval

    Refer to the Delegation of Authority Chart for final approval authority.

  • Make Sure Your Benefits Are In Order

    During a paid leave of absence, most of your benefits continue as usual, unless you cancel them. Refer to the Leave Without Pay fact sheet, Paid Leave fact sheet, or Family Medical Leave fact sheet for information about benefits during your leave period.  You may wish to consult with the Benefits Office ( 2-2636 or regarding continuation of benefits while you are on leave.

  • Review Your Direct Deposit Statement Carefully

    It’s your responsibility to let your benefits or payroll representative know about any mistakes.

  • If Unforeseen Circumstances Should Prevent You from Returning to UC

    Contact your Department Chair or Dean’s Office if you have questions.

  • If You Decide To Retire

    Contact the Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) at 1-800-888-8267.

    You should do so before you elect to retire, since a leave of absence may affect your retirement benefits. It’s also a good idea to review the Retirement Handbook.


APM 715 - Leaves of Absence/Family and Medical Leave (pdf)
Delegation of Authority (link)
Paid Leave Checklist (pdf)
Family and Medical Fact Sheet (pdf)
Leave Without Pay Fact Sheet (pdf)
UCRP Service Credit Purchase Guide (pdf)