Academic Leaves

What To Do If You Are a Adopting a Baby/Child:
  • Find Out About The Leave Provisions That Apply To You

    Parental Leave (APM 760-27)
    Normally parental leave is unpaid.  Accrued vacation or sick leave may be substituted in lieu of unpaid parental leave. For academic appointees who do not earn sick leave, UCR policy provides one (1) quarter childrearing leave or (1) quarter ASMD (see below) for academic appointees (except birth mothers).  The leave must be designated as FML (see below), will run concurrently with FML, and is subject to FML eligibility requirements and maximum limitations.

    Based on prior years' teaching load, the faculty member's department will receive appropriate teaching replacement funds, on a per course basis, for the affected quarter(s) at the rate of one-ninth of an Assistant Professor, Step III (academic year basis) salary (2006-2007).  For ladder rank faculty, funding for this program will be administered centrally by the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor.  All other eligible academic appointees are funded through their respective college/school.

     For faculty who are members of Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), refer to Section VII of the HSCP:

    Family Medical Leave (FML) (APM 715)
    In accordance with applicable State and Federal law, FML provides eligible employees with entitlements to leave for up to a total of 12 workweeks during a calendar year, continuance of health plan coverage as if on pay status, and reinstatement rights.  Family and Medical leave shall be granted to eligible academic appointees for the purpose of caring for the appointee’s own serious health condition; to care for the appointee’s child, parent, spouse or domestic partner with a serious health condition; or to care for the appointee’s newborn child or a child newly placed with the appointee for adoption or foster care.  If the leave is designated as FML (see below), the leave will run concurrently with FML.

    The following family-friendly policies are also available to academic employees

    Active Service Modified Duties (ASMD) (APM 760-28)
    ASMD is not a leave but a period during which normal duties are reduced.  Periods of ASMD, shall be granted on request to any academic appointee who has 50 percent or more of the care of a newborn child or a child underage five newly placed for adoption or foster care.  Eligibility for one (1) quarter of ASMD shall normally extend from 3 months prior to 12 months following the birth or placement and shall be concluded within 12 months following the birth or placement.

    For ladder-rank faculty, the modification of duties normally will be either partial or full relief from teaching without the assignment of additional teaching duties before or after to offset the teaching relief.  For other eligible faculty who primarily have teaching duties, the modification of duties normally will be partial teaching relief or the assignment of additional resources such as teaching assistants or readers, as appropriate.  For all other eligible academic appointees, the modification of duties normally will be a reduced workload (APM 760-28-b(2)).

    To request for ASMD, consult with your Department Chair.  The following form needs to be completed: Request for Teaching Release/Family Accommodations Reporting and Certification Form.  

    Extension of the Tenure Clock (Stop the Clock, STC) (APM 760-30)
    An academic appointee may stop the clock during the probationary period to care for any child who is, or becomes part of a faculty member’s family. To be eligible to stop the clock, an appointee at the Assistant level must be responsible for 50 percent or more of the care of a child. The child may be the appointee’s child or that of the appointee’s spouse or domestic partner.  The clock can be extended up to one year for each event of birth or adoption during the probationary period (i.e., Assistant rank) provided that all time off the clock totals no more than two years.  An appointee is eligible to stop the clock even if the appointee does not take a formal leave or have a modification of duties.

    To request for STC, consult with your Department Chair.  The following form needs to be completed: Request for Teaching Release/Family Accommodations Reporting and Certification Form

    If requesting for ASMD and STC both requests may be completed on one (1)Request for Teaching Release/Family Accommodations Reporting and Certification Form.

    The aggregate duration of all leaves and periods of active service-modified duties may not exceed one year for a single event of birth of a child or of placement of a child under age five for adoption or foster care.

    For faculty who are members of Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), refer to Section VII of the HSCP:

    For leaves requested by represented academic appointees, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)  for leave information:

  • Check With Your UC Medical Plan About Programs They May Offer

    Many of UC's medical plans offer programs to support new parents.

  • Complete The Appropriate Leave Forms

    Your department head can help you fill out appropriate forms.

  • Request Approval

    Refer to the Delegation of Authority Chart for final approval authority.

  • Make Sure Your Benefits Are In Order

    During a paid leave of absence, most of your benefits continue as usual, unless you cancel them. Refer to the Paid Leave Checklist, and Family Medical Leave (FML) Fact Sheet for information about benefits during your leave period.  You may wish to consult with the Benefits Office ( 2-2636 or regarding continuation of benefits while you are on leave.

  • After The Baby Comes Home: Update Your Benefits

    Enroll your child. You have 31 days after the adoption to add your child to your benefits. Talk to your local benefits office about how to enroll your child in medical, dental, vision, life insurance and other benefits. You also may enroll in the Health and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts. If you’re already enrolled, you can increase your contributions.

     Update your beneficiaries. This is a good time to review your beneficiary designations for your benefits, too. You can update beneficiaries for the UC Retirement Plan, life insurance and AD&D by signing in to your At Your Service Online account. Update your 403(b), 457(b) and DC Plan beneficiaries by signing in to your account on

     Set up payroll deductions for college savings. You can arrange for payroll deductions for contributions to ScholarShare, California’s college savings plan.

  • Find Childcare

    You may contact UCR’s Child Development Center (CDC) for information on onsite childcare or information on local childcare resources.  

    Most UC faculty and staff have free access to Bright Horizons Care Advantage and its Sittercity database of childcare resources. Whether you need full-time care or back-up care in an emergency, you may be able to find the person you need using Sittercity. UC gives you free access; then you find the caregiver and make arrangements for care and payment.

  • Review Your Direct Deposit Statement Carefully

    It’s your responsibility to let your benefits or payroll representative know about any mistakes. 

  • If Unforeseen Circumstances Should Prevent You From Returning to UC

    Contact your Department Chair or Dean’s Office if you have questions. 

  • If You Decide To Retire

    Contact The Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) at 1-800-888-8267

    You should do so before you elect to retire, since a leave of absence may affect your retirement benefits. It’s also a good idea to review the Retirement Handbook.


APM 715 - Leaves of Absence/Family and Medical Leave (pdf)
APM 760 - Family Accommodations for Childbearing and Childrearing (pdf)
UCR Work/Life Balance Initiative (pdf)
Delegation of Authority (link)
Paid Leave Checklist (pdf)
Family Medical Leave Fact Sheet (pdf)
Leave Without Pay Fact Sheet (pdf)
UCRP Service Credit Purchase Guide (pdf)
FAQ (link)