Hellman Fellowship Program 2020-2021
The Hellman Fellows Fund has contributed funds to establish the UC Riverside Hellman Fellows Program to provide support and encouragement for the research and creative activities of promising faculty at the Assistant Professor rank who exhibit potential for great distinction in their area of expertise. The purpose of the fellowship is to support research and creative activities that will promote career advancement and enhance the individual’s progress toward tenure.
HELLMAN FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATIONS 2020-2021 ARE NOW CLOSED.
We would like to thank everybody who applied!
Congratulations to the 2020-2021 Hellman Fellows!
Information on the Hellman Fellowship Program 2021-2022 will be available during the 2021 winter quarter. Stay tuned! For questions or more information, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Full-time Assistant Professors in the colleges of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences; Natural and Agricultural Sciences; or Engineering are eligible if they have completed at least two but not more than four full years of service by July 1, 2020. In addition, candidates may not be under consideration for tenure at the time the fellowship is awarded and will not be under consideration for tenure while holding a Hellman Fellowship. Please note, faculty who are eligible will be notified and sent an invitation to apply by the central Academic Personnel Office. If you were not sent an invitation and you believe you are eligible, please contact the central Academic Personnel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must receive an invitation in order to apply.
- If a full-time Assistant Professor has a partial FTE appointment in the colleges of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences; Natural and Agricultural Sciences; or Engineering and a partial FTE appointment in a non- qualifying academic unit, he/she can apply using the qualifying college/department.
- If an applicant spent one or more years at a research 1 or research 2 university before coming to UC Riverside, that time may be counted toward the total appointment criteria. That is, the applicant has to have completed at least two full years as an Assistant Professor at a research 1 or research 2 university by the start of the Fellowship on July 1, 2020.
- Preference in awarding Hellman Fellowships will be given to faculty who show great promise in research/creative activities and have outstanding proposals, but who may have only modest means to support their scholarship and have never received other young investigator awards. Many government agencies (i.e., NIH, NSF, etc.) and professional societies give research grants called “Young Investigator Awards,” specifically designated for researchers in the early period of their careers. Because these awards provide recognition and funding for researchers at the Assistant Professor level that may duplicate the purpose of the Hellman Fellowship, those applicants who hold such awards will be given lower priority for a Hellman Fellowship.
- Fellowship funds may be used for expenses such as laboratory equipment, travel to a professional meeting or a site where data will be collected, and salaries for research assistants, students, or postdoctoral fellows. Funds may not be used for Academic Year salaries or faculty summer salary. A faculty member may request to use the funds to “buy out” their responsibility for teaching up to one course per year.
- The maximum award amount for 2020-2021 is $30,000. A budget justification for the amount requested is required. The duration of the award is normally one year, but if the awardee does not expend the entire award in the first grant year, he/she may request permission to carry forward any remaining balance to the next academic year. In any event, award recipients are required to spend all funds before their tenure case is put forward for consideration.
- Recipients agree to write a thank you letter to the Hellman Family and attend a Symposium and share their work with the Hellman Family Fund Trustees.
- The application form and additional information can be found at UCR Hellman Application 2020-2021 Fillable Form (Download and open with Adobe Reader). Submit completed applications electronically to: email@example.com.
Awards Will Be Based On:
- Excellence of the proposal
- Funding need
- Candidate’s record of scholarship
- The first two due dates included below are a guide for sending applications to your Department Chair and Dean for timely review and attachment of a letter of support and signatures.
- All 2020-2021 completed Hellman Fellowship Applications (that includes the Chair’s letter of support and the Dean’s signature) that are received in APO by the final due date of Wednesday, April 22, 2020 will be considered on- time and will be reviewed for consideration.
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the due dates.
|Friday, April 3, 2020||Eligible Applicant||Submits electronic application to Department Chair and Academic Personnel (email@example.com) by this date.|
|Friday, April 17, 2020||Department Chair||Reviews application, attaches one page statement of support, signs cover sheet and forwards to Dean's Office and Academic Personnel (firstname.lastname@example.org) by this date.|
|Wednesday, April 22, 2020||Dean||Reviews application, attaches signature, and electronically submits to VP for Academic Personnel via (email@example.com) by this date.|
|Monday, May 11, 2020||Vice Provost, Academic Personnel||Refers applications to Hellman Review Panel.|
|Monday, June 15, 2020||Vice Provost, Academic Personnel||2020-2021 Hellman Fellows announced.|
|Wednesday, July 1, 2020||Hellman Fellows||Fellowship begins.|
Application Form and Related Documents
For best results use Adobe Reader version 7 or later. Fillable forms do not always function properly with Mac Preview.
- Hellman Application PDF Fillable Form (pdf - Download and open with Adobe Reader)
- Hellman Application Criteria (pdf)
- Hellman Application Review Process (pdf)
Questions regarding the Hellman Fellowship Program should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (email).
Academic Personnel Office Contacts:
- Danessa Murdock (email) – x23385