University of California, Riverside

Academic Personnel

Leaves of Absence


Academic-year appointees (9/12) are expected to be present on campus from the beginning of the Fall Semester (Quarter) through the end of the Spring Semester (Quarter). Any appointee returning after the beginning of the Fall Semester (Quarter) or leaving before the end of the Spring Semester (Quarter) should apply for a leave of absence. (APM 700)

In order to fulfill their obligations to the University, the APM states “faculty members must maintain a significant presence on campus, meet classes, keep office hours, hold examinations as scheduled, be accessible to students and staff, be available to interact with University colleagues, and share service responsibilities throughout every quarter or semester of active service” (APM 025-8(a), General Principles, Obligations to the University).

Academic appointees absent without an approved leave are at considerable risk of non-coverage should an injury occur. Prior approval for leaves of absence is important to remain compliant with Federal and State laws.

Academic employees wishing to be absent from the campus for more than seven calendar days must file a Leave of Absence form (UPAY 573-4) with the Department Chair or equivalent to be approved BEFORE the start of the leave.

For those who accrue vacation, vacation is not reported on a leave form unless it is taken in conjunction with another leave which results in a total absence from the campus of more than seven calendar days. (In this case, the days to be reported as vacation should be listed in the remarks section of the leave form.)

For leaves requested by faculty who are members of Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), refer to the plan for leave information:

For leaves requested by represented academic appointees, refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for leave information:

To see which academic employees accrue vacation and/or sick leave, refer to the Leave Accrual Chart.

For a list of academic personnel leaves and Academic Personnel Manual (APM) policy references, refer to the Leave Policy Table.

For UC Family Friendly Policies, click here.

For Leave of Absence Checklists and Forms, click here

For UCR’s Catastrophic Leave Sharing Program Guidelines, click here.


Taking a leave to attend professional meetings or for University business
Taking a Sick Leave
Taking a leave to care for a family member
Taking a Sabbatical Leave
Having a Baby
Adopting a Child

Click here for APM 700, Benefits and Privileges.
Click here for UCR’s Academic Leave Guidelines.

Regardless of the reason for your leave, here are the steps you should take to ensure UCR knows your intent and that you continue to be covered by any benefits to which you are eligible.

Expand All

Talk to your department head about taking a leave of absence

Your department head, manager or supervisor can help you determine the types of leaves you qualify for and help you fill out appropriate forms. It's best to do this as soon as your need for a leave arises, so your department can plan for your absence. Try to be as specific as possible about the length of time and reasons for the leave of absence.

For policy information, see the Benefits and Privileges section of the Academic Personnel Manual (APM) or the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for represented academic appointees or the Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP) for faculty who are members of the plan.

Determine which type of leave fits your circumstances

UC offers of the following leaves, so review the information if you are unsure what type to take:

  • Paid time off (Sick leave, Vacation Leave)
  • Family and Medical Leave (FML)
  • Sabbatical
  • Leave without Pay
  • Military Leave
  • Disability*

*Disability is not considered a “leave,” but a separate process. See Applying for Disability for more information.

For policy information, see the Benefits and Privileges section of the Academic Personnel Manual (APM) or the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for represented academic appointees or the Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP) for faculty who are members of the plan.

Make decisions about which benefits you will continue during your leave

Make sure you understand how going on leave affects your UC sponsored health and welfare benefits, as well as your service credit in the UC Retirement Plan.  You may wish to consult with the Benefits Office (x 24766, 21425 or regarding continuation of benefits while you are on leave.

Stay in touch

Be sure to keep your address and other contact information up to date while you’re on leave. You can update your information via your personal account on At Your Service Online.

When you return, contact the Benefits Office (x 2-2636 or

They can inform you about what you need to do to get back to work which for example may include a bill of good health from your healthcare provider (Return to Work Certificate). Within 31 days of your return to work, you'll need to restart benefits you chose not to continue during your leave.

If your UCRP service credit was suspended

If you are not getting paid while on leave, you usually don't earn UCRP service credit. You may be able to buy back any service credit for your leave period. Generally the sooner you do this, the less it will cost you. For more information refer to the UCRP Buyback Booklet or contact the Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) at 1-800-888-8267.

If you do not return to work at UC

Check with your benefits office for information about continuing your group insurance plans.
If you decide to retire from UC, contact the Retirement Administration Service Center.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Department Information

Academic Personnel
2148 Hinderaker Hall
Riverside, CA 92521

Tel: (951) 827-2933
Fax: (951) 827-3659