University of California, Riverside

Academic Personnel

Faculty Obligations - Conflict of Commitment and Outside Activities


The UC Regents’ Standing Order 103.1(b) states that faculty members shall not allow outside employment to interfere with primary University duties. University policy applicable to Academic Senate members is found in APM—025 (general campus faculty) and APM-671 (Health Sciences Compensation Plan Faculty); each policy includes specific time limits for certain types of outside professional activities.

Whether professional or non-professional, compensated or uncompensated, an outside activity that interferes with successful performance of a faculty member’s University obligations represents a conflict of commitment.

To comply with APM policy, UCR faculty must:

  1. Obtain Prior Approval for Category I activities by
  2. Submit an Annual Report each fiscal year for Category I and/or Category II activities using the campus self-reporting system

Please Note: The UC policy mandates that faculty submit an annual report per APM-025 (for general campus faculty) or APM-671 (for HSCP faculty) whether or not you engaged in Category I or Category II activities.  A response of Yes or No is required.

To login to the Conflict of Commitment APM-025 and APM-671 Annual Reporting system visit

For questions or more information, please send an email to

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Department Information

Academic Personnel
2148 Hinderaker Hall
Riverside, CA 92521

Tel: (951) 827-2933
Fax: (951) 827-3659